Google

Friday, March 28, 2008

Dances with Dirt anyone?


Those of you who know me well, know I'm a person who doesn't like to get dirty. I wouldn't be caught dead gardening because a) I could get sweaty being out there so long pulling weeds, and b) I could get dirt under my fingernails. I hate camping because, after a long sweaty hike, at the end of the day, there are still no showers in the woods.


So why, oh WHY would I sign up for a race titled Dances with Dirt? Dances with Dirt is 50K (31 mile) adventure race in Nashville, Indiana through Brown County State Park. In fact, I thought for sure I was going to throw up when I hit the "submit" button to sign up for the race. Something sick about it appeals to me though.


To run a marathon is tough as your body stores only enough glycogen for about 20 miles. It's the 6.2 more that makes the distance a challenge. The last six miles of the race are the most miserable I've ever felt in my life! To add 5 more miles to that distance, to see how far I can push myself, to prove that I can still use a compass in my delirium...that's what it is. And, as Chris points out, I'm crazy.

No comments:

Google